Saturday, November 17, 2012

Reading ten thousand books is not as valuable as traveling ten thousand miles. - Chinese Proverb

I have traveled more than ten thousand miles, and my, have I learned a lot already! It was a long journey, but I mostly slept and read a whole book (Divergent, by Veronica Roth if anyone is interested) so it wasn’t so bad. As soon as I arrived here, Kimmie (my representative at Worlda, the company I am working for) picked me up and we took the bus into Guangzhou. It was about an hour long bus ride and only cost 18 RMB, which is about $2.88 Canadian. Alethea arrived before me so she was already at the hotel and we were given some time to shower and get ready for the day ahead. Holy cow, was it nice to have a hot shower after such a long trip!! Alethea’s representative, Teresa, was with us as well and we all set out to get some necessary things for while we are here. First, we got a SIM card and cell phone. We went to a little stand down the street from our hotel that sells SIM cards with China Mobile, which I’m told is the best company in China. We both bought SIM cards here, but I didn’t like their selection of phones so we went to a bigger store next. I picked out a phone and it actually came with a SIM card too (but from China Unicom), so now I have 2 SIM cards in one phone and I can choose what number I want to use. The China Unicom plan is free so I never have to load money on it, but the China Mobile one is like a pay-as-you-go and I can do that at any 7 Eleven. My phone is a touch screen android phone and it talks to me in Chinese when I turn it on. Also, my ring tone is a Chinese song and I have no idea what it is saying. I’m trying to set up Whatsapp to be able to message internationally, but it may take a bit. We also set up bank accounts, ate some lunch (rice, pumpkin, chicken, and duck from a place with just a barbecue and some plastic tables and stools), got metro passes, and just had the chance to ask questions and get more comfortable with the city. Then we went to see the office and signed our contracts again and Alethea and I were on our own to explore. It was about 6pm here at that time and we were so exhausted from traveling and the time difference, but we ran into some other teachers we had met at the office and they asked if we wanted to join them for dinner. We thought they would take us to a restaurant that serves good Chinese food around here, but they ended up taking us one that served all western food and had hookahs so you could smoke shisha. We had pasta there and it tasted so amazing (although we were so hungry we joked that they could have served us anything and we would have liked it) and it was nice to make some friends. They told us some things to watch out for, told us a little more about the city, but they also told us more about teaching and what to expect in the classroom.

Honestly, it has been such a weird experience so far though. At first, it was surreal thinking about just how far away from home I am and how long it is going to be until I see more familiar things, but the more time we have spent here, the more I have realized that it really isn’t that different. The fashion is similar (kind of an Asian hipster type thing going on), and even though there’s a language barrier, we can still smile and say hello to each other. It has only been 2 days though so I’ll get a chance to compare more and get used to everything. I have noticed that we stand out a bit and people (especially kids) like to stare... today we went to the zoo (cutest thing ever – we got to see pandas and white tigers and the cutest monkeys and I pet a goat!), but people stared at us like we were part of the zoo too. They wanted to say hello and point us out to their kids, and a few teens took pictures with us. I will definitely have to put some pictures up soon!

Our internet is pretty slow at the hotel. We have an Ethernet cord to plug in and at first it didn’t recognize what it was. I skyped my parents and it restarted my computer a couple times, but at least we have something! I can’t wait until we get moved into our apartment and we can get settled with our own internet and unpack our bags. I did such a great job of packing, so I have a lot of things to organize! We had today off, but we start training tomorrow and we have our medical tests on Tuesday and hopefully we’ll get to move in Monday or Tuesday night. I wish I could explain more about what it’s like, but I don’t think I have enough words right now to truly give you a good picture. Honestly, just as the Chinese Proverb says, I think traveling and experiencing things first-hand is one of the best things someone can do for themselves (I may be a little biased haha and I am still a big advocate for books). So many people told me about their experiences throughout Asia, and I looked up a lot online before I came, but none of it actually prepared me for what it is like here. It is strange and wonderful and new and I love it here already. I am off to bed now though to prepare for my first day of training tomorrow… sending my love to everyone at home and hope you are all well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment