Saturday, November 24, 2012

When the wind of change blows, some build walls while others build windmills. – Chinese Proverb

A lot of things have changed, and I have a lot of updates since my last post – so I warn you now, it’s going to be a long one! Alethea and I are no longer in Guangzhou, but have moved to Hunan province, in a city called Chenzhou (the zhou is pronounced kind of like “show”). I posted a couple pictures below if you're curious where that is within China. We thought we were going to be in Guangzhou for our time here, but we are going with the flow – and like the Chinese proverb says, we are trying to build windmills instead of building walls! Honestly, it is so amazing here though and we are very lucky. We are working in a high school which is called Chenzhou Number 1 Middle School (pronounced in Chinese like “Chenzhou Dee Ee Zhong Shay”). I am going to teach Senior 1 students who are 15-16 years old, which is like Grade 10 in Canada; Alethea will teach Senior 2 students who are 16-17 years old. I will write more about this in a little, but I want to talk more about Guangzhou first.

I told you all about my first day and what it was like, but now we have had a chance to understand and get comfortable with our surroundings. We had training for 4 days, but things at Worlda were a little slower than we expected. We would arrive at 10am as in our schedule, but often would not start until 10:30 and sometimes we did other things than what we were told to prepare. We were flexible and still learned a lot and I appreciated the time to get settled and used to the time change. Angela and Christina are two ladies around our age who are in charge of our teacher training with Worlda and they are also with us in Chenzhou helping us to get accustomed to the school and new city. During our training time we also got the necessary paperwork completed in order for our visa to be valid in China. Another representative at Worlda, Allen, helped us to get our medical tests and register for a temporary residence permit. It is important to register our apartment because as foreigners we may be stopped by the police on the street (I think this is more common in Guangzhou) and if we don’t have proof of residency we would get a large fine. As well, the medical tests meant that our visa can be a multiple-entry visa in 30 days so we can travel to different areas around Asia.

It was a very strange experience going through the medical procedures here. We went to a building that had different procedure areas that was very crowded. First we had our eyes, ears, nose and mouth checked, and then moved on to the eye exam. The doctor doing the eye exam was very friendly and asked us a lot of questions, but he was really the only one who spoke English out of all of the doctors that we saw that day. We then got our ECG and chest X-Ray done, and went to a different floor. We were told that day that we couldn’t eat breakfast so I wasn’t sure if that included water, but it ended up making it hard to give a urine sample. It was so embarrassing because the nurses were yelling across the hospital at each other and waving the bottle around – and poor Allen had to translate! He was so embarrassed, I was so embarrassed, and to make it worse everyone else in the hospital was staring at me as this all happened. It ended up being ok though so we moved on to the ultrasound and blood test. I’ve never had an ultrasound before because I really only thought this was necessary for pregnant women, but she told me I need to drink more water – I have no idea how she could tell from that black and white screen though! All-in-all it felt like a pretty long day, but we were glad to get it over with.

We had planned to go to Hunan the next day, but I woke up that night with a problem in my ear. My ears are very small and I have had problems with my hearing in the past, but it is an easy enough procedure to fix it in Canada if I go to the doctor. Here, it is a bit more problematic as we don’t speak the same language and they don’t do things the same as at home. They don’t have family doctors like we do, so whenever they have any problem, they go to the hospital. Christina took me to the hospital and was my translator between all of the doctors. There was a main doctor who prescribed the procedure and also my medicine after to help me get better faster. All of this was very overwhelming and a time when I really missed home. They did a lot of tests and were way more hardcore than at home so I thought maybe there was something more wrong with me. They ended up giving me the same diagnoses as my doctor at home though so that definitely reassured me.

Anyway, enough about that; I want to tell you about my school and where I am now! We took a high-speed train from Guangzhou to Hunan the day after my hospital visit (Friday) early in the morning. It took a lot to get there because we packed a lot of things. It was interesting to see the difference between us Canadian girls and the Chinese girls accompanying us. I pride myself on my strength, independence and self-sufficiency and I would say Alethea values these qualities as well; however, Christina and Angela really struggled with carrying our luggage and you can tell they hold themselves in a much more dainty and delicate way. I had a big suitcase, my big travel backpack and my carry-on backpack as well as another plastic bag and I carried this all around the train station. Altogether, this weighed probably around 140-150 lbs so I definitely got a workout. My legs have been burning since, but everything here is a workout so I don’t mind; I’m going to be so fit by the time I get home!

We got to the school around 10:30am and we were able to move our bags in and get a little more comfortable and then went to lunch with the Headmaster and a few of the Chinese English teachers we will be working closely with. The apartment is much bigger than I expected and they provided furniture, sheets, and a lot of kitchen supplies so we were pleasantly surprised. This is a private school so there is housing on campus for both students and teachers and we are right within the gates of the school. They treat us like celebrities here; the teachers go out of their way to help (especially a woman named Helen who is a Senior 2 teacher working with Alethea – she is so nice and has helped so much already) and the students are so excited to talk to us! They stare and point and a few took pictures, and when we go anywhere most of them want to talk to us and practice their English. When we went for lunch, the Headmaster (whose name is Mr. Xia – pronounced like a fast way of Shia, and means “summer”) and the teachers told us how excited they have been for us to come and the students have barely been paying attention in class because they keep asking about us! They were so nice at lunch and ordered a lot of food for us to try. Hunan is known to have very spicy food and Althea and I definitely felt this with some of the dishes. The teachers laughed at us a bit because of our reaction to one extremely spicy dish, but helped us to learn more about what each one was as well. One teacher, Mr. Long (or Mr. Dragon, as “long” means “dragon” in Chinese) was so funny and had a lot to say and said we remind him of his daughter who is 22. He said he was so honoured he wanted to serve us, and he made an extra effort to talk in English and pushed the others to as well so we didn’t feel lost in the conversation. The Headmaster wanted us to introduce ourselves to his class, but we went to have tea in his office beforehand. He has a coffee-table (or tea-table I guess) in the middle of his office that is covered in various teapots, kettles, cups, and a hotplate to boil water. He said he often makes tea in between classes and we are more than welcome to join him sometime. He was so knowledgeable about tea as well so I am excited to learn more as I love tea and they have so many different varieties here! The students were crowding the office and many of them came in to say hello and ask our names, and then it was time to meet Headmaster Xia’s class – they were Senior 1 so they will all be my students. He said just to introduce ourselves, but after this he told us he thought we should just do the whole lesson. We were caught a little off-guard, but again, we went with it and played some games so we could know some more about each other. It’s tough with so many students, but they were so funny and animated and really wanted to talk to us. Honestly, it almost made me cry how nice everyone is and Mr. Long said he hopes to be like our family for the next while and for the students to be like our brothers and sisters. I was so nervous when I first found out that we would be so far from Guangzhou and teaching high school as this is out of my comfort zone, but so far it has been a great decision to fly with the winds of change! To confine myself to repeating the same experiences seems counter-productive and I don’t want to build walls and restrictions. After all, this whole trip is centered on my desire to push my boundaries and expand my knowledge. Bring it on wind; I’m ready for anything.





Above: The dark picture is the People's Republic of China and the lighter is the province of Hunan. We are close to the central part of Hunan as shown in the picture below.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, I came across your blog while researching Worlda. I've been offered a contract with them but I've read loads of really bad stuff about them on the internet. Did you have an entirely positive experience with them? Thanks! Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.s. Your blog is really interesting, it's making me excited about my move to China!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sophie - you should be excited! It definitely was a really rewarding and eye-opening experience :)

    As for Worlda, they were good, but go with low expectations. To be honest, I haven't heard of a lot of great companies in China, but Worlda was good as far as safety and well-being and I felt like they took care of us. They didn't tell us much before we went and though we had a vague idea of where we were teaching, it was totally different when we arrived. They stuck to their contract, but we had to be very flexible. We ended up in a more northern province, but I'm happy with the way it ended up and had a great experience at the school. They were accessible by phone and email pretty easily, but we were far away (had to take an hour and a half long train to get to us), so that was sometimes hard and we had to ask teachers at our school to help us plan trips and buy tickets since we couldn't converse with people very well. Other than that though, it was a fantastic experience and I would say they are one of the better companies for sure.

    If you have any more questions, shoot me another message! It's been a while so things might have changed, but I'll try my best to help! And good luck on your adventure ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sophie - you should be excited! It definitely was a really rewarding and eye-opening experience :)

    As for Worlda, they were good, but go with low expectations. To be honest, I haven't heard of a lot of great companies in China, but Worlda was good as far as safety and well-being and I felt like they took care of us. They didn't tell us much before we went and though we had a vague idea of where we were teaching, it was totally different when we arrived. They stuck to their contract, but we had to be very flexible. We ended up in a more northern province, but I'm happy with the way it ended up and had a great experience at the school. They were accessible by phone and email pretty easily, but we were far away (had to take an hour and a half long train to get to us), so that was sometimes hard and we had to ask teachers at our school to help us plan trips and buy tickets since we couldn't converse with people very well. Other than that though, it was a fantastic experience and I would say they are one of the better companies for sure.

    If you have any more questions, shoot me another message! It's been a while so things might have changed, but I'll try my best to help! And good luck on your adventure ahead!!

    ReplyDelete